Skiathos is an unspoilt and picturesque island of the Aegean, in the Sporades group. There are over 60 beaches with crystal – clear waters along the coast, some with golden sand and unique pine forests such as Mandraki beach, while others with white rocks (Lalaria beach) and pebbles (Kastro). The most famous is Koukounaries, which has been declared the third most beautiful beach in the Mediterranean. The traveler can choose from a wide range of clean beaches, from the secluded private ones to the cosmopolitan ones with beach bars and water sport activities (diving and snorkeling, water ski, wake board and many more). It is highly known for being a green island with pine tree forests and olive groves, bustling nightlife that attracts thousands of young visitors every year and amazing local as well as international cuisine.
Skiathos is the nearest island to the mainland, with international airport, only 41 miles away from Volos, the capital of Magnesia region. It is only 2.5 hours away on the ferry from the port of Volos. It is also accessible from Agios Konstantinos port and Mantoudi port in Evia as well.
Visitors can also enjoy activities such as biking, hiking, trailing or following signposted walking routes which pass through some of the most beautiful parts of the island with breathtaking sea views of the Aegean. They can also visit the historical monasteries, or do daily trips to the neighborhing small islands.
Visitors can enjoy activities such as:
- Hiking, biking, trailing or following signposted walking routes which pass through some of the most beautiful parts of the island with breathtaking sea views of the Aegean. Other activities are diving and snorkeling, water sports (ski, wake board and many more), tennis courts (clay) and 4x4 football courts (Skiathos Tennis Club), horseback riding.
- Visit the historical monasteries such the Monastery of Evagelistria or the old Monastery of Ekonistria.
- Visit the Medieval Town of Skiathos (called Kastro).
- Do daily trips to the nearby islands (Arkos, Tsougrias) or do fishing trips.
- Visit the Museum of Alexandros Papadiamantis and watch outdoor theater plays, concerts or visit painting and other art exhibitions that are organized by Skiathos Municipality or by the local private sector.